This is a followup and additional question to my June 7, 2011 post.

On 8/1/2011 a LEED Interpretation was posted for IEQc9: Enhanced Acoustical Performance (ID Number: 10095). It basically says that the use of the 2010 version of ANSI S12.60 is acceptable for LEED for Schools 2007 and 2009.

In ANSI S12.60-2010 Table 4 there is a footnote (b) that says “A 20cm (8”) concrete masonry unit wall having a surface weight density of at least 180 kg/m2 painted and sealed on both sides, acoustically sealed at the entire perimeter and extending from the floor slab to the structural deck above, is an acceptable alternate assembly that conforms to the intent of 5.4.2.1.” This could impact us greatly, because we had to issue an addenda to add Perlite or foam-in-insulation to our 8” CMU walls between classrooms to mee the STC 50 rating between core learning spaces. It seems that according to this footnote, this would not be required, which would could have a big dollar cost savings. I believe we are meeting all the requirements of the footnote, but I am not sure about the “surface weight density of at least 180kg/m2” part. I’ve researched and asked masonry and paint technical reps, but no one seems to understand what this means.

Has anyone heard of this or had any experience with it? I want to ensure we are meeting all the requirements of the exception before we tell the client we no longer need Perlite/foam-in-insulation.