I work with a lot of industrial facilities which are designed for ratios that vary from the 50/50 M/F standard. Typically, these facilities are designed with toilet facilities to accommodate 70/30 or 80/20 M/F ratios. This is a result of historical trending and other data provided by the clients (not to mention common sense). We have submitted projects using these ratios and have "earned" the points. More recently, when submitting the same documentation for similar facilities, we are seeing the following comments from the GBCI reviewers: "The calculations require a balanced, one-to-one sex ratio unless project conditions exist (such as a male dormitory) which would affect the gender ratio for the life span of the building and warrant an alternative ratio." And, "...current staffing level is not an acceptable rationale for deviating from the standard usage ratio of 50/50 M/F."

Can someone please offer an explanation for why the change? I have reviewed both the v2.2 and v3.0 (2009) reference guides as well as the Templates in LEED online and I can find nothing in any of these documents that substantiates the reviewer's comments in the above paragraph that "...current staffing level is not an acceptable rationale for deviating from the standard usage ratio of 50/50 M/F."

Thanks.