In the US a registered engineer is one that a State has given the title Professional Engineer. I think the term registered was used in this text to keep the term generic to all countries and refer to some governmental license.

In America, States require plans to be sealed by a Professional Engineer. And a State will only allow engineers who are licensed (registered) in their State to seal the plans. Design firms with clients in many States will have engineers licensed in many States. I am currently licensed in 3 States. I've know one person who had 40 State licenses.

Getting the first license sounds similar to your description. There is some variation by each State but generally the person needs to have earned a 4-year degree from a university with an approved curriculum. Then mentor under another licensed engineer for 4-years. Finally passing a couple 8-hour exams. Once licensed in a State it's usually a matter of paperwork and fees to get licensed in another State. Some States require continuing education of so many hours every 2 years if you want to keep your license active.

LEED is a challenge for meeting the needs of each region of the US. The regionalization credits was a first step to address local needs with this national standard. USGBC has branches spreading into other countries. If you feel something is lacking in yours you could try to set up your own branch and give LEED the attention needed for your country. There are too many countries to expect the US to know what's best for each one. It's difficult enough to know what's best here.

Just curious where you got the 27% value from. It's hard to find good data on their website. I found a total of 35,000 projects and 4.5 billion sf. But no information subdividing this data.