This is the IP thread, but I see others have posted general comments here so I'll do that as well.

I happened to be talking to Chris Marshall (USGBC staff member) today, and he said something about LEED generally that was so succinct I'd like to repeat it: namely, that LEED consists of some slam dunk credits that you always get, some impossible credits that you virtually never get, and a section of credits in the middle where you normally work. My overall impression of 2012 is that the majority of the slam dunk credits are gone. Which means we'll all have to start looking a lot harder at those "impossible" credits. To an appropriate degree, this is a good thing, and part of transforming the market. But there's only so much "impossible" we can all tackle in a single LEED upgrade, especially in a down market. I think this may be a step too far, one that will add more costs than my clients can live with.

Just as an example, looking at the PF category: Cx may more than double in cost because of significantly increased scope; M&V has gone up quite a bit in cost now that a signed contract is required; most projects will also require several water meters.

Another thing is increased complexity of credits (e.g. in LT, MR and EQ) that will result in higher fees needed for documentation. Another result will be that teams will feel they must hire a LEED consultant to manage it all-- a plus if you are a LEED consultant, like me, but not so great for owners! Also, in the case of MR and EQ at least, the added complexity doesn't seem to be adding environmental benefit. It would be nice if LEED documentation could be simplified with each version, not made more complex.